The biggest wagering event of the year is less than a month away, and sportsbooks are gearing up for the massive increase in wagering volume.
Bookmakers expect the 2014 handle to be higher than the 2010 World Cup betting totals, which was a huge success for bookmakers. It has been estimated that $15 billion was bet on the World Cup held in South America four years ago.
South African bookmakers said their associates in Britain alone handled more than $4.5 billion.
The UK’s three largest bookmakers, Ladbrokes, William Hill and Paddy Power, estimated in 2010 that each had handled more than $1.5 million, with most of the money going on European champions Spain.
Sportsbooks are starting to offer contests in order to get a piece of that action. Anonibet.com, the granddaddy of all Bitcoin sportsbooks, is offering the biggest one so far. Up to 22 bitcoins, worth over $10,000, is up for grabs at Anonibet.
• Bets with a minimum stake of 0.1 BTC qualify for the promotion.
• Promotion will run from the 19th of May 00:00 GMT until 10 minutes before kick off of the opening World Cup match(Brazil vs Croatia).
• The player who has the MOST WINNING ACCUMULATIVE ODDS at the end will win the Grand Prize of 10 BTC (if a betting slip wins, all the odds are put into your points basket).
• Second Prize Receives 5 BTC while 3rd place will get 3 BTC
• There will be a consolation prize for the unlucky loser i.e when your slip misses by 1 game, the remainder of the odds will be put to your losing basket. Unlucky loser receives 2 BTC.
• In order to participate to the promotion, customers should copy and paste their betting slip (with the bet slip number) to the Bitcointalk.org Anonibet.com thread. This will be done so as to show transparency as we are running this promotion FOR the players, we would want the players to observe as well on the forum.
• Customers can participate with an unlimited amount of betting slips.
• Anonibet is doing this to thank OUR players for believing in us and for promoting our beloved BTC therefore prizes from the contest will be deposited into the winning player`s Anonibet account, and they can withdraw the prize immediately without placing any bet.
• Posts made after the expiry of the contest duration will not by any chance be eligible for the contest.
• In the event of tied points, prizes will be split respectively among the participants.
• For the World Cup, our Facebook page will run a World Cup Bitcoin Meme contest where the meme with the most Likes will receive 2 BTC.